Sunday, February 1, 2009

So made a mess today



So I made a mess in the basement today! Had a productive day possibly, (time will tell) First I finally figured out how I intend to make my color wheel for later chapters homework for my study group...started then put it aside ;-) because decided today was a good day to try to overdye the glue resist I am experimenting with. Used Elmer's washable clear glue and then tried an experiment with a blue Elmer's washable glue stick? Will be interesting to see if these worked? Since this is all new to me I am not sure if my samples will be successful but heck you never know till you try??? I first mixed some thickened dye for my over-dyeing and was not sure how long I had to let it sit but decided what the heck so I've got them in the washer rinsing now as I post ;-) Then after dipping the fabric in the overdye I decided it was time to get the Knox gel printing plate out of the frig (the hubby was complaining since it's been in there gelling for weeks. ) I had tried to do mono printing on the Knox gelatin a while back but my hand just was not cooperating since it was in a cast so just left the one gelatin plate sitting in the frig for another time. Well I assume I've done the technique correctly and found it interesting but admit I like the mono printing technique I learned long ago from Bernie with latex house paint I get nicer results and lots less mess.......The only thing I liked about the gel printing was the feeling of the gelatin as you press the fabric down to make contact for the print. What is funny the printing plate is still in perfect condition for me to keep printing at another time lol so back in the frig. I've posted some examples of my work and will see if I like any of them after they dry. I used fabric inks or fabric paint. The last experiment I have going is to try out the little tube for tie dyeing I got from Michael's craft store around Xmas for 50% off....might be an easy way to dye without much mess..will let you know tomorrow after the sample is done but heck for $7.00 can't go wrong dye and activator was included for 12 items.

No comments: