Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Another project before Thanksgiving was..

So another project we accomplished before the 2012 Thanksgiving Holiday was to refurbish our old dining room furniture to give us a feeling of new. This meant we had some gluing to do to the wood frames along with me recovering the chairs.
New fabric on the left..old fabric on the right
Me working away
This chair seemed to run into a problem or two possibly during one of my son's poker parties?
A little glue and clamping brought it back to life.
New fabric new look 
All set for our Thanksgiving dinner.
Have to admit we had a GRAND Thanksgiving 2012.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

We're as ready as we can be ;-) bring on turkey day.

Yay! It's Thanksgiving week 2012 already!!! We say bring it on we're as ready as we can be and VERY excited to be having our first (just one of many we hope) family holidays in our new home.
So this year I will have the pleasure of 2 out of my 3 children and their families visiting [Meaning my 4 grandchildren ;-))] Along with god-daughter Mattie and her folks and Claire parents.
Hubby and I are very excited.
So day by day we are finally seeing some progress as far as being finally moved into our residence in Quakertown PA. It's really feeling like our home ;-)

So we call this our "princess suite" because it has a guest bath/shower in the room.
Notice the headboard please; I just finished covering an old headboard of ours
 was actually part of my husbands parent's bedroom set.

Remember the cabinet I painted with Annie Sloan paint when we first moved in?
Again another old piece of furniture we already owned.

Notice the little book shelves in the room? I just finished painting it with Annie Sloan paint
and intend to paint the side bed tables as soon as I get a chance so the pieces will all match.

Our grandkids cave 

If you've been following my blog you might have noticed a past post
about painting my son's old bunk beds with Annie Sloan paint.
I love that we have been able to put in use our old pieces of furniture.

So tomorrow will be first time my grandchildren see the room completed and ready for 3 of them to sleep in the room together, hubby told me I'd better take some photos to share before they arrive and get the toys out. ;-) Notice my wall piece "color my world" I did while studying with Nancy Crow seemed like a perfect fit for the room to me.
What's funny is these cabbage patch dolls used to belong to my daughter Keli.
So our "Lady Day" room is ready too.

This bedroom furniture is part of a set from my Alabama years,
made by Davis furniture company was supposedly the oldest produced bedroom set
designed after President Grant's set we were told when we got it in the 70's.
So time for me to go check my lists to make sure we're ready for OUR turkey day…May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

It's been way too long again between posts

So I am going to back track a little here…
The end of Oct the hubby and I took a trip to MI for a family wedding. ;-)
We had a fabulous time…and then if one recalls the storm Sandy 2012 hit…
Well first things first…here's a photo of our lovely bride and groom..the groom is my handsome nephew Gerald and the bride a wonderful addition to our family Megan.

It turned out as has semi become our norm these past few years we arrived to MI to find that my mom sadly had a little health issue so since our area in PA got hit with the storm and we assumed we were without power we extended our trip a little longer then expected. Hubby stayed a few days out on Harsens Island visiting with his Aunt.
While staying with my mom I popped back and forth each day to my son's home to work on a little project for them I had promised long ago to try. It worked out well gave me a feel of completing something artsy. So here are photos of my little project.
Dresser drawers before

Their dresser as I was priming it (step 1).
Dresser primed,next step paint it with latex paint.

Dresser bring painted with 2 coats black latex paint

Dresser ready for them to add knobs to.
 Bouncing back and forth helped me actually with the project..it forced me to take my time and as suggested in the directions I found via "google" helped me have the patience to let each coat dry 24 hours before adding new coats of primer or paint.
When we finally headed back to PA we returned to a safe home but with no power for 3 more days..so our neighbors were without power for 10 days, we were just inconvenienced with only 3 days yet feel so badly for the many folks that lost their homes and belongings..our prayers are with them.
Lucky for us, we returned to PA to find our home was safe
and the only damage was a tree fallen in back yard on our septic field.