Thursday, April 7, 2011

Arashi Shibori! Lesson 4 ;-)

I am continuing with my "shibori w/ silk" lessons and have been enjoying the various exercises using color-hue dyes w/silk and various shibori techniques.
I ordered about 9 different styles of silk scarves from Dharma Trading Company to use for my class lessons. My goal in ordering the various scarves was to help me try to experiment with as many different types of silks as possible. I have silk habotai, silk charmeuse, chiffon, crepe de chine and a silk/wool blend. The trick now for me is to try to remember which silk is which. ;-)
This week's technique was Arashi Shibori (pole wrapping); I have done some pole wrapping in the past using cotton fabrics and indigo dyes so I feel a little comfortable with the process of wrapping fabric on a pole, the part that was completely to me is once again was the use of quick set dyes and how they would react during the process.
base color dyeing


wrapping silk on pole

dyeing wrapped silk scarves
drying

2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

lovely scarves. i like seeing your setup. i'm still using a very small pole and just sampling.

Kekibird said...

These came out great!