Saturday, February 8, 2014

My completed Riley Blake challenge quilt

The modern quilt guilds across the US were given Riley Blake fabrics along with a challenge to see what we could /would design.
I decided that if I was going to participate I wanted to end up with at least a lap size quilt, so with that in mind I began me process of deciding to use all of the fat eighths selection of fabric we were given and added one yard of Riley Blake fabric I found and thought would add some spark (turned out the perfect binding accent) and then added solid white.
My design turned out to be 55 inches x 63 inches. 
I am pleased with the end product and look forward to possibly participating in more challenges. 
enjoy some process photos along with a couple photos the finished quilt.


The completed quilt 55x63

I began by making simple 4 piece blocks (2 different sizes)


And realized if I stuck with them as pieced blocks or even bound in strips of white my quilt would be small and boring to me.

I began rearranging and trying to fit in areas of solid white.

Next up was the fun part of adding the quilting.
Here is the quilt minus it's binding.
Was time for me to pack up and head to FL yet I was determined to complete the quilt before the deadline.
Binding is on.
The quilt is completed and when I get a chance I will look for some spot in the sun to photograph it but until then it's found a storage spot in the guest room. Now to figure out how to post it in the MQG challenge site..... Enjoy.

No comments: